claraval

I would like to thank Britsburgh for this opportunity to share some of my drawings based on Shakespeare’s plays and a few thoughts about them. Richard Claraval (Artist).

Richard III

RICHARD III.jpg  
In my drawings I'm not interested making masterworks of precise anatomy, scenery and so forth, but rather capturing the passion and dynamics of the plays. I've been a fan of “The Bard” since I first saw the great films of Lawrence Olivier as a kid, and this piece obviously was inspired by his Richard III.

Being on the intense side, Shakespeare’s often dark and sometimes twisted characters are a natural for me. For example I am simultaneously repelled and attracted to Richard III. His being a vile destroyer of lives moves me very powerfully to anger, and I show my contempt by having him fused with a snake. But again, his absolute commitment to and focus on his goal is something I cannot help but be attracted to. Also, myself having been treated unjustly as a child, I can relate even to Richard's dark thoughts toward the unjust world that made him, though these are of course rationalizations.

I placed the curved spine that gave Richard his deformity in the center of this drawing. It was on this that he rationalized his horrible deeds, and therefore the fundamental catalyst of the tale. England is shown above Richard both to add aesthetic complexity and interest, and to show how his malevolence damaged the entire country.

Another thing I like about Richard is that he is an artist. Horribly though, his medium is lies and his canvas the lives of mostly innocent people. Being a virtuoso of manipulation, he even astonishes himself when he seduces the wife of a man he just days before has murdered. “Was ever woman in this humor wooed? Was ever woman in this humor won?” Act 1, scene 2.

Upcoming exhibition: SHAKESPEARE DRAWINGS

Running from May 15 through June 30, Richard Claraval's exhibition feature 30 drawings of some of the Bards most potent characters. It will take place at the Spinning Plate Gallery, 5821 Baum Blvd Pittsburgh, PA 15206, with an Opening on Saturday, May 20 from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. Beverages and food will be served. 

HOURS: WED,TH,FR 7:00 to 10:00 PM; SAT 1:00 to 4:00 PM

Also, as a special event I am very happy to announce that on June 3, at 7:00 pm Pittsburgher Judith Robinson will be a reading of some passages from Shakespeare’s plays, as well as original poetry from her new book Carousel! Ms. Robinson is an editor, teacher, fiction writer and poet. Directory of American Poets and Writers, she has been published in numerous magazines, newspapers and anthologies. Among her awards are the 2015 Reuben Rose Internations Poetry award/Voices Israel, 2014: Poetry Super Highway Competition Top Ten, and in 2012-13: The Writer’s Place (TWP) National Poetry Competition Award.

For more information or to schedule a visit to the exhibition: rclaraval@gmail.com    412 877 7394

http://richardclaravalcontemporaryfigurativedrawingssculpture.com/

About the Artist

Press-Photo1.jpg 

Richard Claraval’s sculptures and drawings, have been exhibited in solo and group shows throughout the Pittsburgh area. At the One Hundredth Associated Artist’s Annual Exhibition, at the Carnegie Museum of Art in 2010, he won a Juror’s Award, and a Purchase Award. He has had two solo installations at The Pittsburgh Center for the Arts, and was featured in two exhibitions in conjunction with the International Sculpture Conference in 2000. Mr. Claraval has a sculpture in the collection of the Westinghouse Corporation, and won the Juror’s Award for a drawing in a group exhibit at Studio Z Gallery in 1997. He received a bachelors degree in Art from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, in 1977.

Richard Claraval
http://www.richardclaraval.com
Quote 1 0