claraval

Introducing the 2nd of my Shakespeare drawings in a series I am putting together for my new exhibition at the Spinning Plate Gallery running May 15 - June 30. Richard Claraval (Artist).

HENERY V.jpg

The great 1989 Kenneth Branagh film was the initial inspiration for this drawing. He was awesome in the “tennis balls” scene. Starting with such a subtly intense manner, he built until he became a juggernaut of anger. It was this that I am depicting, though I did not use Branagh’s face. My invention of the tennis balls interspersed with agitated gestural marks and spreading around and in back of Henry and up into the battle, shows the great harm their mocking will cause.

“And tell the pleasant prince this mock of his
Hath turn'd his balls to gun-stones; and his soul
Shall stand sore charged for the wasteful vengeance
That shall fly with them: for many a thousand widows
Shall this his mock mock out of their dear husbands;
Mock mothers from their sons, mock castles down;
And some are yet ungotten and unborn
That shall have cause to curse the Dauphin's scorn….
His jest will savour but of shallow wit,
When thousands weep more than did laugh at it.”  Act 1, scene 2 

Upcoming exhibition: SHAKESPEARE DRAWINGS

Running from May 15 through June 30, Richard Claraval's exhibition feature 30 drawings of some of the Bards most potent characters. It will take place at the Spinning Plate Gallery, 5821 Baum Blvd Pittsburgh, PA 15206, with an Opening on Saturday, May 20 from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. Beverages and food will be served. 

HOURS: WED,TH,FR 7:00 to 10:00 PM; SAT 1:00 to 4:00 PM

BRITSBURGH ART SOCIETY EVENT

The Britsburgh Team, Richard Claraval and our friends - Mrs Shakespeare, The Unrehearsed Shakespeare Project and Pittsburgh Shakespeare in the Parks will hold a multi faceted Shakespearean evening on Thursday, May 25th, 7-9pm at the Spinning Plate Gallery.

Enjoy a glass of wine or beer with Shakespearean art by local Pittsburgh artist Richard Claraval in his new exhibition 'Shakespeare Drawings'. Scenes from a variety of related plays will be acted out that will bring the art to life!  Learn about the art as Richard leads us through his work.

Please support local art in all its many forms.

The event is FREE but we still have costs.  We welcome a suggested donation of $10. Thank you!

Please register in advance.

Richard Claraval
http://www.richardclaraval.com

Richard Claraval
http://www.richardclaraval.com
Quote 1 0
londongirl
I lov[CODE]

I LOVE Kenneth Branagh's Henry V.  So much so that while I went to the cinema over a dozen times in 1990, I saw only two films, because I was so enamored of them (the other one was Cinema Paradiso).

The tennis balls scene is wonderful, as I think that's the first glimpse we get of warlike Harry.  And what a lead-in and delivery from Brian Blessed: "Tennis balls, my liege."

Jeannine
aka londongirl
Quote 1 0
claraval
Thanks Jeanine!
Quote 0 0