claraval

Introducing the 3rd of my Shakespeare drawings in a series I am putting together for my new exhibition at the Spinning Plate Gallery running May 15 - June 30. Richard Claraval (Artist).

This piece was inspired by 1950 Film with Marlon Brando as Mark Antony, James Mason as Brutus, and John Gielgud as Cassius. The entire sequence from the time Antony sees Julius Caesar dead till the end of his “Friends, Romans….” speech is very powerful. In my drawing the blood of Caesar turning into the cracks in the marble of the steps and columns is a metaphor for Rome coming apart in civil war. I like the way I created a dark perimeter around the top and left side leaving the middle space lighter so that it contrasts more with the dark blood. To give an uneasy feeling to the scene I created a strange arrhythmic pattern with the columns and have the “dogs” visible behind them. Even for straight lines and circles I prefer freehand drawing. It’s more “alive”. 

JULIUS CAESAR.jpg

Upcoming exhibition: SHAKESPEARE DRAWINGS

Running from May 15 through June 30, Richard Claraval's exhibition feature 30 drawings of some of the Bards most potent characters. It will take place at the Spinning Plate Gallery, 5821 Baum Blvd Pittsburgh, PA 15206, with an Opening on Saturday, May 20 from 7:00 to 10:00 pm. Beverages and food will be served. 

HOURS: WED,TH,FR 7:00 to 10:00 PM; SAT 1:00 to 4:00 PM

BRITSBURGH ART SOCIETY EVENT

The Britsburgh Team, Richard Claraval and our friends - Mrs Shakespeare, The Unrehearsed Shakespeare Project and Pittsburgh Shakespeare in the Parks will hold a multi faceted Shakespearean evening on Thursday, May 25th, 7-9pm at the Spinning Plate Gallery.

Enjoy a glass of wine or beer with Shakespearean art by local Pittsburgh artist Richard Claraval in his new exhibition 'Shakespeare Drawings'. Scenes from a variety of related plays will be acted out that will bring the art to life!  Learn about the art as Richard leads us through his work.

Please support local art in all its many forms.

The event is FREE but we still have costs.  We welcome a suggested donation of $10. Thank you!

Please register in advance.

Richard Claraval
http://www.richardclaraval.com
Quote 0 0